Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Boise and Teacher Nerd Stuff

I don't know if this is weird or not, but I really like work trips.  It's an opportunity (usually paid for in some way or another) to travel and meet new people.  Plus, I get to eat takeout and spend way too much time on the internet, two things I very much enjoy!

I'm suuuuuper bummed I forgot my camera, because the drive down was simply breathtaking.  As is my driver's arm tan.  I don't want to brag, but it's pretty sweet.

I'm taking a class on using Inquiry as a teaching method.  Basically, Inquiry is where your entire unit is based around one essential question that guides all texts and activities and leads to a final culminating project.  There's also a service learning component where the students do some kind of service for their classroom or community.

Please excuse me while I nerd out for a minute...My unit is going to be based around the questions "Why is story telling important."  For my culminating project, I want my students to partner with seniors at the local senior center (after some preparation of course) and interview them about their life stories.  In the midst of that we'll be talking about the students personal stories, literature, articles, etc.  At the end of the unit, I want the students to use the life story of the senior they were paired with to create a digital storybook.  Basically a slideshow of that person's life with the student telling the story in voice over form.  Granted, none of this will happen for quite some time since it's still summer, but I'm excited to be planning and getting a little more organized for the coming year.  

If you're still here, thanks for sticking around through all my teacher talk!...I really wish I would have brought my camera.  Boise is really pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment